Monday, February 13, 2006

name

what is it with the chinese fascination with adopting a christian name? is it to fit in with the crowd, to appear trendy, or just plainly for convenience's sake? i dont really understand it, unless your name is so un-pronounce-able, something like Xbhagaio. even them chinese folks in china are adopting weird, and i mean plain funny names like, vanilla, cream, or whatever you name it, most probably someone in china would be using that as a christian name.

i had the phase once, when i thought of getting a christian name. it appeared cool at that time. everyone had one, but then again, everyone was 16 once. but once you give it hard thought, you get over it. so what if i dont have a christian name, i'm proud of my name. its what my parents gave me, and by changing it, it just shows that i'm ashamed of my culture, my heritage, my roots, and most importantly, my parents. but it doesnt mean that all those who adopt christian names are shallow. some do it for convenience, working in some big MNCs with a lot of caucasians who might find it hard to pronounce the chinese words. but then that begs another question. if us non-english native speaking people could adopt and learn others' language and attempt to understand their culture, why cant they do the same? why do we always have to conform to others, to change and 'bend' ourselves in order to suit others? is it because our cultural identity and heritage is so weak that we cannot stand up for them?

3 Comments:

Blogger The Tarot Apprentice said...

Totally agree man!!! That's why I don't have a christian name.

In fact, I think both of our initials very sak kee also.

And ya, I think our heritage is very weak, like what happened in history. Being overruled by other culture and whatnots?

History repeats itself?

Haha

8:24 pm  
Blogger boredphuck said...

sak kee mei...my intials spell out N.A.Y., very negative lei...hahah

and i just realized that i may be a bit of a hypcrite by writing all in english.

at least i still curse in hokkien, apart from the 'fuck'. haha

3:42 pm  
Blogger The Tarot Apprentice said...

Shit, my initials meaning our surname. Wahaha.

"The One"!

=P

1:04 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home