Thursday, January 26, 2006

passion

"it is said that football is a matter of life and death, though i can assure it is more important than that."

those were the words of the late Bill Shankly, great Liverpool manager of the past. to me, that just about sums up my feelings towards the game.

i am by no means a good player, just merely another average weekend footballer at the void decks. if allowed a little moment to indulge myself, i used to be good back in secondary school and before i got my back injury. oh, the days when i could run and twist and turn at such free will, without a single care in the world. now, when i twist, my back's screaming at me. at least my positional sense and first touch hasnt left me. so now with my back injury, i find myself more comfortable sitting back, breaking up attacks and setting up plays, instead of running around. i still miss the urge to run carefree with the ball though.

but what i lacked in skill, i always made it up with my heart. there was always this self belief in me, and i would never really stop running, never giving up until the final whistle's blown or the final deciding goal scored. back then when i was still hotheaded and able to run, i would expect the same of my teammates, never stop running, never giving up. it seemed clear about it, as i would often vent my frustration at some of them for seemingly giving up during the game. but as time went by, i started to mellow and cool down. i realized that i couldnt expect others to have the same passion, the same feelings for the game that i have.

back then when we just started, everyone we knew joined in on the game on sundays. then as time went by, fewer and fewer turned up, until there was left a constant of 3 of us, me, giap and zhongshun. the rest had seemingly lost interest and have other commitments. while there are others who feel that their studies are more important, i dont blame them. but its only once a week, and you're in the prime of your sporting life now, it isnt much to ask for is it; just a few hours on a sunday morning? then there are a few, who are good enough to play for their school halls, yet somehow, deemed that a few hours arent worth spending with old friends to play ball now.

maybe its the timing, we used to start and meet at 8. then we pushed it back to 9, now its set at 10, yet its at most 4-5 people that come. maybe its just that not important to some of them. afterall, they still see each other sometimes at school. but then again, do spare a thought for the rest though, to us(people in the army still, people who arent furthering their studies, people who have to work) this sunday soccer is not only a chance to stretch those legs and play some ball, but also a chance to meet up with some old friends.

2 Comments:

Blogger The Tarot Apprentice said...

Friends come and go...This is part of life.

For me, I seldom join my sec sch friends for basketball is really due to work commitment, if not girlfriend, and sometimes I find myself wasting my time there cos ain't click with them.

They'll be having their own conversation and I'm really literally there playing that's all.

Hmm

9:50 pm  
Blogger experiencelife said...

great thoughts for you....i love to see you writing about your passions....they are what drive us compell us to live and breathe....our bodies certainly slow with age but our mind remains strong....our passion for life gets stronger.....we realize the moments of pleasure and passion are all we have to keep us young at heart....

sondra

2:13 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home